Saturday, September 19, 2009

Instant Girl-Post-Coital CD

Spitboy was an all-female punk band formed in the early 1990’s in the San Francisco Bay area. They played heavy mid-tempo punk with strong feminist lyrics, and were much respected in the anarchist/crust scene at the time. Personally, I could take ‘em or leave ‘em. After vocalist Adrienne Droogas quit the band in 1995, the other three members continued under the name Instant Girl. They released one CD entitled Post-Coital in 1996 on Allied Records. I think I’m in a minority opinion on this one, but I greatly prefer this stuff to the Spitboy material. It features strong discordant vocals from all three members, and gets surprisingly poppy and eclectic in spots. It also features the type of feminist lyrics typical for riot girl acts at the time, but without the dogmatic preachiness that marred many similar bands. As far as I can tell this CD was their only release, and they broke up shortly afterwards.

1. Bomb Pop
2. Euphemized
3. Blame on the Ass
4. Go Fish
5. American Double Standard
6. Explosives
7. Naked
8. Party
9. Coruscate: She Lacked the Frivolity of Americana
10. Roller Derby
11. Monkey Wrench

Download

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much! My copy of this record got partially melted a few years ago, but now I can just listen to the mp3s!

    ReplyDelete